From: William R. Mussatto [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 12:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: RAID hardware suggestions/experience

> I have heard good thing about 3Ware, but I would suggest looking at the
> 8500-4 in combination with Western Digital's Raptor drive
> (http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20030501/index.html). The Raptor is
> a 10,000 RPM SATA drive  which, combined with the 8500-4 SATA Raid card
> should give excellent performance at a great price. I would also look at
> Opteron based servers if you are looking for performance for a good
> price.
>
> Regards,
> Mike Hillyer
> www.vbmysql.com

A significant question remains for SATA: basic drive reliability.  Related
to that is length of time drive will remain available.  A dirty secret of
RAID is that when a drive goes it must be replaced you must replace it
with the same drive (please..please tell me I'm wrong).  So, unless you
have a spare in the back you will end up replacing 3 drives (assuming Raid
5).  That may be why the WD model has such low capacity compared with the
normal IDE drives.

Just my 2 cents worth.

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
FAX. 909-608-7061