We recently bought a kick $%#%% machine for ~10k

HP DL380
2x2.8GHz Xeon
1GB RAM
5 15k scsi drives (2 RAID 1 for OS and logs/3 RAID 5 for data)
RedHat Linux Enterprise Edition 2.1

This machine easily handles 200 queries/sec and never gets a load
average above 1.5.  For your space requirements, you may need the HP
ML370 with 5 RAID 5 drives.  An important thing to remember is that the
raid card is very fast and the more drives (to a point) you put on it,
the better, so better to have 5 smaller drives than 3 bigger drives.
The reason we use raid 5 is that 95% of our queries are selects.  If
your ratio is smaller, you will want to consider RAID 1 or 10.  Another
thing I recommend is to stay with the big players (IBM,HP) and stay away
from Dell which is cut rate.  If you want to save money, get a white box
over dell.  Also, we get it from a good salesman at cdw.  His address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Since they are in Chicago, there is no sales tax.
Lastly, if you're looking to buy soon, HP small-business direct
(www.smb.compaq.com) is offering free shipping until June 30 (but then
you have to pay tax - basically the same amount).