> So does anyone else have any ideas what is going on here?  Shall I

Did you post how you setup the servers to load the different my.cnf
files? Hopefully you don't have one at a default location.

Otherwise, it sounds like the config information is not properly set --
either some user setup error that is alluding all of us, or a config
located, etc., before doing a bug report.

My two cents.

PS: I'd also have both servers running the latest version, just in case
it was a bug that was already fixed.

--steve-