On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 07:45 AM, Chris Nolan wrote:

2. I personally use ReiserFS for all of my stuff, most of which is based upon InnoDB. One thing you have to remember is that InnoDB
treats the space inside the tablespace as a Berkeley Fast Filesystem-style space, using the underlaying filesystem minimally. To quote
the manuals, raw partition usage can speed up IO on a number of UNIXes (and Windows too seemingly). Regarding backup, you'd
need to use mysqldump or InnoDB Hot Backup to backup a raw-partition setup. This isn't a bad thing though - I use mysqldump and
can get a consistant snapshot of a 12 GB DB without problems while the thing is running.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to get InnoDB to use a raw partition in OSX? When I tried it, it complained about the file already existing.

- Gabriel