Hi Heikki,

> > As you know - I'm a transaction zealot :-)
> >
> > Is there a way to get a signal back to the client when a
> > transaction has started?
>
> what do you mean? If you have AUTOCOMMIT=0, then every SELECT, INSERT,
> UPDATE, DELETE starts a new active transaction.

Aha - that's good, I did not wholly understand exactly how it was used.

> >Or perhaps something like
> > @@trancount in MSSQL?
>
> What does it count?

In the above case, with AUTOCOMMIT=0, it would return > 0 if a transaction
was started. For example, how does no autocommit work when working with
InnoDB and MyISAM tables - if I wouldn't know what table was being used
in an INSERT, how would I signal the user that a transaction has really
started?

InnoDB could have a "trancount" > 0 if the table would be an InnoDB table,
and return 0 if no InnoDB table was used in a statement or series of
statements.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird & MS SQL Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com