Eduardo,

----- Alkuperäinen viesti -----
Lähettäjä: "Eduardo D Piovesam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Vastaanottaja: "Heikki Tuuri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Lähetetty: Friday, October 24, 2003 6:17 PM
Aihe: Re: MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.16 is released + sneak peek of 4.1.1

> Hello Heikki, thanks for your reply.
>
> It was just my curiosity, with the MyISAM concept it's good for the OS,
> because it'll cache only the tables most useds, and not "all" the
tablespace
> file.

but InnoDB only caches the most used 16 kB pages in the tablespaces to the
buffer pool. MyISAM does not cache .MYD file contents at all, but relies on
the OS file cache for them. The MyISAM key_buffer caches .MYI contents.

> And how to administer the multiple tablespace support? I'm worried in the
> space unused by some tables, example:
> - Multiple tablespace support active
> - Minium tablespace size is 500MB (in the my.cnf)

The minimum size for an .ibd file is 64 kB. It grows page by page to 1 MB,
up to 32 MB in 1 MB chunks, and after that in 8 MB chunks. .ibd files are
always 'auto-extending' tablespaces. You do not specify their size in
my.cnf.

> - 2 tables in the InnoDB database, table1 have only 10kb (few rows), and
> table2 have 600MB
>
> Then you'll have:
> - table1.ibd with 10kb or 500MB?
> - 2 x table2.ibd files with 500MB each or
> - Just one table2.ibd with 600MB or 1GB?
>
> Thanks again,
> Eduardo

Best regards,

Heikki
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign keys for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables