Hi,

As I have said before, I'm not Heikki, but I'm such a massive geek I'm likely to have one or two useful bits of info for you. :-)

1. You'd have a rough time getting indexes and tables to be seperated out, unless you were willing to set up your various symlinks/hardlinks
by hand. Even then, you may be inviting problems. Additionally, no date has been announced for FULLTEXT indexing on InnoDB tables, and
Heikki considers it a low priority by the looks of things (not having a go at the god of multiversioned DBs, just making a possibly incorrect
observation).

2. I personally use ReiserFS for all of my stuff, most of which is based upon InnoDB. One thing you have to remember is that InnoDB
treats the space inside the tablespace as a Berkeley Fast Filesystem-style space, using the underlaying filesystem minimally. To quote
the manuals, raw partition usage can speed up IO on a number of UNIXes (and Windows too seemingly). Regarding backup, you'd
need to use mysqldump or InnoDB Hot Backup to backup a raw-partition setup. This isn't a bad thing though - I use mysqldump and
can get a consistant snapshot of a 12 GB DB without problems while the thing is running.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Chris

Jon Hancock wrote:

Heikki,
I have two questions in regards to the tablespace changes:

1 - You mention being able to store indexes in a seperate tablespace.  How
far off is this for MySQL to implement?  I would like to see FULLTEXT
indexes stored in seperate tablspace (seperate RAID channel) so the two
features (InnoDB FULLTEXT) would both need to be available.
2 - Is there any value to using Journaled file systems with the InnoDB
tablespaces?  A new system I'm putting together will have seperate drives
for only InnoDB data.  Is a Journaled file system extra overhead?  If so, is
Raw significantly more efficient?  How does this choice effect backup
soultion?

thanks, Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Heikki Tuuri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>