Bryan Koschmann - GKT wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to get a software designer to write us some software using
MySQL as the database server (he currently requires MS SQL). It is all
windows based software (written in VB).

So far his arguments against it are this (not my words):

-No explicit transactional support

InnoDB tables have transaction support.

-MySQL is still buggy

No it's not. That's a bit of a nebulous claim.

-MyODBC is buggy and not used in production environments

Not for us. We've been using it in a production environment for 4 years with no issues.

-Only way to connect using ODBC is third party drivers that cost over
half as much as MS SQL

Absolute bulldust. The drivers are free, and not 3rd party drivers, but developed by MySQL, alongside the server product.

It sounds like you have a stubbord software developer on your hands who doesn't want to use anything other than M$ toys. I suggest you get another software developer, or at least threaten to.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer