On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Craig Vincent wrote:

>       Although this doesn't answer your initial request...why are you wanting to
> 'argue' with this guy over the database to use.  If he won't code for the
> application to use MySQL (which isn't all that hard in VB regardless of what
> he says) then get another coder...as simple as that.  There's a plethora of
> coding contractor sites out there any of which probably have a good base of
> coders with the skills you need capable of coding your software using VB and
> MySQL.

Craig (and others)

It's a good question and implied by Daniel as well. I should have stated
the reason in the beginning. The coder is not only an old employee but a
good friend as well, and basically writes the software in exchange for
discounts on computer parts.

While he is set on M$ stuff, he has always been open to MySQL to a point.
The problem is he is perfectly comfortable with M$ products and just
doesn't see the need to look at MySQL.

Here is the explanation I just received when asking for the difference
between transaction support:

---------
MySQL uses single-action implicit and explicit transactions, but they do
not
automatically roll back on failure.

SQL Server user single action implicit and batch explicit transactions as
well as supporting transaction nesting (transactions inside of parent
transactions) and on failure the entire batch and any parent / peer
transactions are rolled back.

EXAMPLE (bank transfer):
[SqlServer]
1: BEGIN TRANSACTION
2: WITHDRAW $50 from account 32146.
3: DEPOSIT $50 into account 12345.
4: LOG transfer (date/time/teller/etc...) for auditing.
5: COMMIT TRANSACTION

if this failed at step 3 due to an error, every change would be undone
including the withdrawal and everything would be ok.  The transaction
could
be retried later.

[MySQL]
1: START TRANSACTION
2: WITHDRAW $50 from account 32146.
3: DEPOSIT $50 into account 12345.
4: LOG transfer (date/time/teller/etc...) for auditing.
5: COMMIT TRANSACTION

if this failed at step 3 the transaction would be hung and even if rolled
back by server admin the money would still be gone from account 32146

Is this actually correct, or is it correct but there is a different way to
do this with MySQL?

Thanks,

        Bryan