I'm confused. According to your note and to a passage I found in the manual,
InnoDB support is installed in all 4.0.x versions of MySQL, which should
obviously include my 4.0.11 install. Yet SHOW_VARIABLES LIKE 'have_innodb'
returned NO. Why? It would appear that I need to do something besides
installing a 4.0.x version of MySQL but I can't tell what that is from the
manual. I found one section that said installing MySQL-Max-VERSION.i386.rpm
will give me "additional capabilities" - without specifying what those
capabilities were in any way. Do I need this RPM to get InnoDB support?

By the way, I'm willing to install a newer version of MySQL if that will
help. However, that raises some additional questions.

I found the Upgrading/Downgrading section of the manual but it's pretty
vague. For example it doesn't explicity say whether I need to uninstall
4.0.11 before installing the newer version. I suspect from the wording that
I don't need to uninstall first but I'd feel a lot happier is someone could
confirm that.

Also, the manual says that we are supposed to take backups of our databases
before upgrading but the Database Backups section describes several
different ways to do backups, each of which seems to be different. Which one
should I use: a regular backup or an SQL level backup? Should I use SELECT
INTO OUTFILE? BACKUP TABLE? mysqldump? mysqlhotcopy? What are the pros and
cons of each? Do I need to do LOCK TABLES and FLUSH TABLES for each of these
approaches? If yes, what is the right sequence: do I need to LOCK TABLES and
FLUSH TABLES first, then do the backup? Or do I LOCK TABLES, backup, then
FLUSH TABLES? The manual leaves a lot to the imagination and I've got a good
imagination so I need some clarification ;-)

Rhino