How do they get hooked up?  I think the first two technologies to learn are cgi and
PHP: they are somewhat different approaches, and one should know both if one wants
work.

PHP is probably your easiest first step, as it's really been set-up nicely to handle
this task.

But since you are in skills acquisition mode, I would suggest you do not stop with
PHP.  Try some cgi methods.  You might use C++ or Perl, you probably should have at
least the Perl cgi skills in your toolbag; C++ is probably overkill in terms of pain,
unless you are writing a SE to compete with Google.

I would suggest you also learn Python, cgi and otherwise, not because Python
programmers are in high demand (at this point in history) but because Python
encourages high level OO thinking about the programs you write.  And you can write
quickly and clearly in it if you can free your mind from the pointers and the like of
C++, etc.

Write a cgi/MySQl/web interface in Python, then think about a full application you
might write in Python.  Give yourself a week to learn the PHP, Perl cgi (and 2 hours
to learn Python), and to decide on a project; then give yourself 2 weeks to write a
full application (with GUI and embedded MySQL database, perhaps) in Python.

Python's a great glue language, too, if you want to use some C++, VB, tie in to
Windows COM, etc.

Post your unit tested application on the web at some place like SourceForge and
solicit comments, bug reports, etc.*

In the world of paychecks, delivering well tested and documented code quickly is
critical (and expected).

Tick, tock!

Good luck!

EP

* you could do this in Java or C++ instead of Python, but you may find it overwhelming
or that it takes too long to bear fruit in a relatively short time frame.

Python:    http://www.Python.org
Python+MySQL:    http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Python/MySQL-Connectivity-With-Python/
PHP+MySQL:    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/21/index2a.html
Perl+MySQL:    http://www.kitebird.com/mysql-perl/

I also recommend a DuBois book, "MySQL" is a favorite.