By "it" (in your first sentence), I assume you mean InnoDB as opposed to
 MySQL. We've been using MySQL without difficulty for several months.

 I just checked with the system admin and he says that he installed the
binary from an RPM. We are running Mandrake 9.1 - I thought we were using
RedHat 9.2 but I was mistaken - and he says that he used the MySQL
distribution that is available from Mandrake.

 However, it turns out that we *didn't* install the MySQL-Max RPM, only the
"Common" RPM. [I can't find any mention of a "Common" RPM in the MySQL
manual but Clive says it is probably Mandrake's re-bundling of one or more
of the RPMs available from the MySQL download page.] On reading the RPM
documentation, he found that the MySQL-Max RPM contains the InnoDB support.
[That's something I did NOT find in the MySQL manual! All it says is that
MySQL-Max offers "additional capabilities" without saying what those are.
Aside to the people doing the documentation for MySQL: PLEASE indicate
somewhere in the InnoDB and/or Installing chapters that the MySQL-Max RPM
needs to be installed in order to get InnoDB support!!!]

As further confirmation, we did searches on the server and could not find
any file named 'my.cnf' or 'my.ini' anywhere on the server.

 So that must be the problem: if we simply install the MySQL-Max RPM, we
should get our InnoDB support. Right?

 Now, some followup questions.

 1. Can we simply install the MySQL-Max RPM without any further preparation
or should we do database backups first? If we need to do backups, which
approach should we use and why? The backups chapter lists several different
approaches without discussing the pros and cons of each approach in any way.
We don't have enough MySQL experience to know if we should be doing BACKUP
TABLE, mysqldump, or mysqlhotcopy. Can someone clue us in?

2. Does the MySQL-Max RPM need to be at the same level as the other MySQL
RPM - 4.0.11 - or can the MySQL-Max RPM be later, like 4.0.15?

3. I was advised in another post to upgrade to something newer than 4.0.11
as this is obsolete. Would we be okay to go to 4.0.15 or should we go with
4.0.17? Clive strongly prefers to use the Mandrake RPMs over the MySQL RPMs.
According to the Mandrake docs, the Mandrake version of 4.0.15 seems is the
latest stable version they have while the Mandrake version of 4.0.17 is a
"cooker", which appears to be a synonym for an alpha or beta. I'd rather
stay with something stable than mess with alpha or beta code but if 4.0.15
is not significantly better than 4.0.11, I'd rather stay with 4.0.11 because
it works fine and is less work than upgrading to a newer version.

 Rhino

MySQL