At 04:45 PM 7/28/2004, you wrote:
Our customers are running MySQL 4.0.17 on QNX 6.2.1.

We are currently using a flash drive to store our database but we want
to store it in a RAM disk to prolong the life of the drive

Flash drives are solid state (no moving parts) so you can't break them. I've never heard of anyone wearing them out. Compact Flash unless they are too slow or consume too much power, I'd recommend sticking with a flash drive. With a RAM drive you need to handle times when the power fails.

Someone else mentioned HEAP tables which solves the speed problem and you could write everything to flash memory every 5 minutes or so as a back up. I assume this is for a single user right? You're not running a database server off of Compact Flash, right? If so you may want to try the embedded MySQL version which will speed things up a bit. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/libmysqld_overview.html

Mike