Flash drives have a limited number of writes that can be done before the
drive starts to fail:

        http://www.kingston.com/tools/bits/bit17.asp
        http://www.diskonkey.com/documents/Performance_reliability.pdf
        (Look under "Flash Reliability")

If I can write the database to a RAM disk and just archive to the flash
drive periodically, I can greatly reduce the number of writes to the
flash drives and extending its life.  These drives are going into
transmitter stations in remote locations that are only accessible in the
summer.  If we have a failure in the winter the system could be unusable
for 6 months.

The system is protected by a monitored UPS.  If the power fails, part of
the shutdown procedure would be to save the database to flash.

There is no user per se for this system but there are multiple processes
accessing the database.  There are actually two databases but one gets
backed up much more frequently than the other.  The whole operating
system and application is stored on the flash drive.

HEAP tables might be the solution.  How would I archive these to disk on
shutdown?

...Stephen