From: mos [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Jul 30, 2004 10:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Installing MySQL Databases on RAM Drive

<QUOTE>
Ok, then it makes sense to use compact flash just for backup and not the

primary drive. But you still have to put the MySQL tempdir someplace and

that may still get some read/write activity. Of course if you are just
doing data collection then this should be minimal. MySQL is pretty
elaborate for something like this. So I'm wondering if MySQL because of
its
disk activity is the right database for the job? There are memory based
databases that are excellent for this type of application. They are
small
and extremely fast and can load/save the table to disk and you can
eliminate all disk activity. The one I'm thinking of is called
TkbmMemTable
and runs in Delphi and I think there is a Kylix version for Linux. It
has
built in compression, indexing, blob support, and it is free (they have
pay version) and there are no
royalties.http://www.components4programmers.com/products/kbmmemtable/

This means there is zero disk activity and the "database" (which is a
flat
file system) and it gets compiled into the .exe file so there is a zero
footprint install. You can then export the data to a CSV file for import

into another database. It is also possible to access the database over a

webserver too so you can access the data remotely.  Send me an email if
you
want me to send you a compiled TkbmMemTable demo app if you want to see
what it can do. (for Windows) -I'm not associated with their company but

I've been using it for years and it's great.
</QUOTE>