Sometimes I don't think WE realize a few things....these things have helped me
tremendously with dealing with what I used to
feel were the "difficult clients":

1.  most of our clients have no idea that we compare them to what is a "normal
fill client".....so they don't realize when they
     need more from us, that they are really getting more from us then expect
to give, for the prices we charge them.

2.  we get to a point that we have a hard time seeing things through their eyes
because we've been doing nails for a while, or know
     a lot of people that have been in this business a long time, and have
heard the horror stories, and now look
     at everything from a money point of view....they are either making us
money, or costing us money

3.  because we are small time businesses (whether on commission or rental, what
we bring in affects our paycheck), everything
     we do that is extra becomes "money out of our pocket"

Stop and think for a while......it is our business....if someone comes every 6
- 7 weeks, and thinks they fall into the 3 week fill category,
it is up to us to explain it to them. All we have to do is charge them whatever
we think they should be paying, and explain to them why we are charging them
that price. End of story.  I went through that same thing not too long ago.  I
have a client that comes at about 8 weeks....nails very grown out....lots of
extra work/product.  She always gave me an extra big tip so I never charged her
more than anyone else.  Then she came once, and didn't give me the big tip.  I
didn't know what to say, and must have had a funny look on my face, because she
commented that her nails were in really good shape that time.  She was right,
BUT what she didn't know was the extra product, the fact that I had to do more
prep work, etc etc.  When I explained all that, (thankfully) she completely got
it...and said to me, I didn't realize all that, paid me more, End of story.  I
then told her if she was going to go that long, the price of her fills would be
$xx.xx, and more for broken nails.  I no longer feel annoyed when she comes in,
and she knows what to expect when she comes in.  Much like bringing your car in
for an oil change.  We don't know, till they tell us, that we also need an air
filter and it's going to cost $xx extra.

I'm thankful for her and other "difficult clients", because they made me
realize a few things....

1.  some people can go longer than 2 - 3 weeks between fills and other than the
nails being grown out, sometimes have less
     broken nails.  (in contrast to some clients that come every 2 weeks and
they hardly have any growth).  as long as we shorten their
     nails every time to avoid possible damage, and their nails stay sealed, I
wouldn't agree with someone going longer if it wasn't safe
     for their nails.

2.  sometimes we get so caught up in "our side" of the way things look, that we
fail to see things from their point of view.  ie:  we seem
     to feel it's ok for clients to stretch their appointments if they can't
afford every two weeks, but if they have the money, we seem to
     feel they should be spending it on their nails.  But it's not up to us to
decide what they should spend their money on....just like
     we wouldn't want someone telling us what to spend our money on.

3.  all we have to do is say no, when what a client is asking doesn't
work/isn't possible.  I work with people who get annoyed when people      call
at the last minute to see if they can get in for their nails.....but if we had
just taken a last minute cancellation we would be thrilled        to get that
call!  I tell people....it never hurts to call, for every time the phone rings
our schedules could be changing.

4.  always try to imagine things from a different point of view.  Not because
our point of view is wrong, but because it keeps you thinking
     outside of the box.  Especially when it comes to the annoying
stuff....being annoyed just causes stress.....try to imagine a very
     understanding reason for the annoyance (like maybe the guy who cut you off
in traffic is rushing to the hospital to see his child be
     born, or cuz a loved one is very sick), and all of a sudden you won't feel
so annoyed.

One of the coolest things I've learned from doing nails, actually has nothing
to do with nails at all.  The coolest things I've learned from
clients (and other sources) is that what most people want is to be acknowledged
and treated with compassion.  If only we can learn to do those things as
beautifully as the nails we create.

Sue Mang
susanm...@hotmail.com
Louis Anthony Salon