Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

> NANOG-L is unique. There isn't anything else devoted to issues for truly
> large networks, and the providers that manage the distance between them.
> When I see Cisco (or Juniper, or Extreme) announcements about a
> vulnerability, those are useful. Nonsense about Solaris 10 telnet
> vulnerabilities, or FedGov meetings, or requests for someone from
> Comcast to please call (and what is it with Comcast, anyway?).

I would just observe that despite once having been responsible for
several (hundred) solaris machines I did not spend yesterday worrying
about telnet vulnerabilities. Best Common Practices in this industry
have involved disabling telnet except where infeasible for more than a
decade. While I know of many cases of aging terminal servers on oob
networks we do not as a community worry about that sort of thing
collectively.

I am interested in infrastructure threats including the occasional rogue
botnet targeting the dns infrastructure. for end-systems issues I
subscribe to the lists relevant to my end-systems. The security industry
appears full these days with individuals willing to be overwrought at
the drop of a hat. Disclosure is critical, crying wolf in some
overwrought tone every time some piece of software is reveled to have
flaws doesn't serve anyone well though.