On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Simon Lyall <si...@darkmere.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>> is the distinction the mailing-list-admin folk are making one of:
>>
>> 'you need to do X,Y, Z to make your website secure'  (on-topic)
>>  vs
>> 'your website is hacked' (not on topic)
>
> Well personally I meant:
>
> " Isn't this list about routing and BGP rather than writing your php
>   scripts correctly? "

The list is about 'network operations' which in a narrow view can just
mean 'routing and bgp' or 'routers and bgp', sure. It could also mean
things like: "What is, and how does one do, peering at Internet
scale?". It could also mean: "Security of things on my portion of the
Internet, how do I do that 'better' or 'properly'?"

Looking at content at meetings there's a hefty helping of 'security'
and 'peering' as well as all manner of 'routing' topics... One might
think then that 'security' (even web-server security) falls into the
realm of 'on topci' a little bit.

I don't want to see a tutorial of 'php best security practices' here,
but if someone's out of their depth and stuck dealing with some
operational issues related to that sort of problem a quick
conversation and referrals to the right references (and or off-list
help) seems reaosnable.

Again, I didn't read probably 80% of the 'my webserver was hacked'
thread, but...

> But other people on the MLC might have differing opinion about exactly
> what they didn't like about the threads.

so long as it's a consensus and the consensus is even keeled I don't
mind. I think the 'arbitrary process' is what got is an 'mlc'  in the
first place though so I don't want to see us repeat mistakes. :)

also, what is this wierd footer??

-Chris