On Thu, 14 May 2009, Michael Dillon wrote:
> On 5/14/09, Simon Lyall <si...@darkmere.gen.nz> wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 May 2009, Michael Dillon wrote:
>>> The GNU Mailman software, which I believe is running the NANOG lists,
>>> has the capability of allowing each subscriber to subscribe only to
>>> topics which they are interested in. This is done by setting regular
>>> expressions to tag a message with a topic, I believe this mechanism
>>> is being exploited by the MLC right now.
>>
>> Nope, we use regexes to catch the threads that are being moderated and
>> some spam.
>
> Uhh, regexes is just an abbreviation for regular expressions. You said
> "nope" and then agreed with my statement above.

No, we do not use topics. However you do use we use regexes to catch the
threads that are being moderated and some spam.

> This is a simple admin issue that can be fixed with a script that sets all
> users to all topics. After that people can unsubscribe from the bits that
> they don't want.

Well you just Opt'ed in 10,000 people to the "randomjunk" topic and they
now have to actively get off it.

>> Also chopping this list like this would probably require *more* active
>> involvement from the MLC to play with filters and make sure posts were
>> always correctly tagged.
>
> Yep. But it would require less involvement in moderating the list, in fact
> you would no longer do any list moderation at all.
[..]

I think you over-estimate the ability of people to tag subject lines
correctly and underestimate the amount of working fixing up over those who
don't. eg from the threads so far this month the following would be hard
to regex for:

Beware surfers: cyberspace is filling up
Where to buy Internet IP addresses
Minnesota to block online gambling sites?
ground control to TWTelecom
Intel wants to hook 15 billion embedded devices to the Internet in 6 years
DSX cross-connect solution
who provides bandwidth to Telehouse?
several messages
Why is www.google.cat resolving?
Alcatel as Peering and MSE(PE)
IRC channel?
Testing LFNs
UCEProtect Level 3
webpage doesn't worok from specific address
need help in bandwidth
two interfaces one subnet
install in dallas
questions about DVFS in saving energy
another brick in the wall[ed garden]

which add up to about half the post this month. Yeah sure "DSX" and others
are probably something you could add to the regex, but you'd never thik to
add it *before* someone uses it.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.