On Oct 4, 2010, at 6:45 PM, "Randy Bush" <ra...@psg.com> wrote:

>>> and what about lifers, the other long-term unwindable commitment?
>> Specifically what is your objection to offering life membership?
>
> i thought i was pretty clear, if terse.
>
> we do not have consensus over membership categories.  life membership is
> unwindable should we decide against it.
>
> personally, i am not strongly against it, but am sceptical.  it may get
> a cash infusion now, but what will it do to income down the road when
> folk don't need to renew? [0]
>
> does newnog actually need the infusion up front?  are there other ways
> to deal with the financial problem that the attempt to create of this
> class of membership implies?
>
> randy

Short term cash supply is important; we have a decent lag between now and NANOG
52 where there will be a significant outflow of cash for salaries, hotel
contracts, etc. without any meeting revenue. Having lifetime members commit
early will help the balance sheet through this period.

In the long run I don't believe it will have a detrimental effect because
meeting and development revenue will be coming in.

Regards,

Mike
finance-wg member hat