I'm happy to contribute as much as I can to docs; I've
synched everything up with CVS and I'll start looking
at them tonight. With your permission, one of things
I'd like to start thinking about is a short
introductory blurb/doc that introduces the concept of
a build tool at a high level for experienced
developers who have never used a build tool (a profile
that will apply to many Microsoft tools developers, I
suspect).

With respect to XMLification of the docs, I've done
this a few times before, and it has consistently
taught me one thing -- frequently, the amount of time
that developers spend managing the XML (fidding with
tags, getting the elements correct, etc.) exceeds the
benefits. I say this as a huge XML proponent who uses
XML on a near-daily basis. But generally for
documentation my watchword is "make it as easy for
people to contribute as possible." Whether it's in
HTML, XML, or on the back of a cocktail napkin,
getting good information is more important than what
format it's in.

Looking at your source, it looks like you're using
inline XML comments already, which is great. I wonder
if it would be OK, at least for now, if we just keep
the HTML documentation in HTML and transform the
inline XML comments into HTML/PDF/CHM/whatever, using
the inline code comments emitted by the compiler? Does
this sound insane? To me, this seems like it would be
much less work -- at the end of the day if you want to
(for example) convert HTML pages to PDF you could
easily do so without bothering with an intervening XML
step.

One question -- what's the status of the tasks page
(\nant\doc\help\tasks\index.html)? It's a dead link in
the source I just checked out; is it going to be
autogenned from the source at some point? Should we
maybe stick a placeholder page in there until the real
page is ready?

Jeffrey