I understand that it shouldn't be edited directly, but
I think it should at least be checked in, because it
represents part of the distributable package of the
application. One objective of source code is to be
able to view, at a glance, the state of an application
(including its distributable packages; i.e. its
documentation) at any point in time. Whether it was
generated by a human or by an automated process
shouldn't matter. If somebody needs to re-create some
arbitrary build three years from now to replace it on
a production system that standardized on it, they're
going to be hosed because they won't be able to get
documentation that matches the build they have.

The practical problem that I (and lots of others, in
all likelihood) are having is, without a current
snapshot of the state of the task lists, there is no
way to get a reference to the latest tasks, short of
re-building the project, which (it seems to me) you
shouldn't have to do just to get docs.

-J.