Hello,

> I agree, these problems should be resolved before we
> introduce this feature.
>
> > I'm tempted to include it and let people have a play with
> it and then
> > refine it as necessary rather than holding out until its
> perfect. What
> > do people think ?

I'm not convinced to either. Resolve those issues completely could be pretty
diffucult, but 95% use cases will be trivial case without basedirs and
include/exclude conflict. IMHO atleast overall strategy should be discussed
before introducing this feature to the core.

> I'd rather have a more general approach, where all global
> types implement
> support for merging two distinct instances.

I dont think I catch it. How could have general type "merge" operator?

> Also, I'm not sure if this is something we should introduce
> this late in the
> game.
>
> We should try to get 0.85 out asap ... I've been too busy
> lately, but I hope
> to find a few hours next week ...
> I definitely don't mean to sound disrespectful here. I appreciate the work
> Martin has been doing here !

Agreed it should go after 0.85. No new features after RC is out is good
strategy, I think.

Martin