Am 29.11.12 19:51, schrieb Gustaf Neumann:
> However, i am still in the process to clean up and address
> some strange interactions (e.g. for nsssl some socket
> closing interactions between driver and connection threads
> seems to complex to me), so i am still for a while busy with that

The problem in the bad interaction was that the driver poll reported, there should be data to read from the socket, while the nsssl receive said, there is none and vice versa. Since the nsssl was defined as sync, the socket processing happens in the connection threads via NsGetRequest(), which returned frequently empty, meaning a useless wakeup and ConnRun etc. in the connection thread. The reason for this was that the nsssl sets the socket to non-blocking without defining the driver as ASYNC, so that it was possible that a receive returned 0 bytes. Setting the driver simply to ASYNC did not help either, since the driver used its own event loop via Ns_SockTimedWait(), which interacts badly with the drivers poll loop (did not realize on Linux that a socket becomes readable, while this worked on Mac OS X). So i changed the receive operation to simply report the read state back to the main driver, which works now apparently ok (tested on Mac OS X and Linux). To be on the save side, i have tagged the previous version of nsssl on bitbucket and incremented the version number. This change led as well to a simplification in the main driver.

The new version is running since sat on next-scripting.org and shows even better results. The average queue time is lower by again a factor of 4, the standard deviation is as well much better.

        accept  queue   run     total
avg     0,0599  0,0002  0,0183  0,0196
stdev   0,3382  0,0039  0,0413  0,0530
min     0,0000  0,0001  0,0011  0,0012
max     12,1002 0,2324  0,8958  2,0112
median  0,0088  0,0001  0,0118  0,0120

the accept times show now up since nsssl is async, but these are often not meaningful for the performance (due to closewait the accept might be a previous accept operation). now, all performance measurement happens relative to queue time (similar as in naviserver in the main tip).

Note, that this data is based not on a synthetic test but on a real-world web site with potentially different traffic patterns from day to day, so don't draw too much conclusions from this. By moving from sync to async some potentially time consuming processing (waiting for more data) is moved from the connection thread to the driver's event loop, so the time span in the connection thread is reduced (for nsssl the same way as it was before for nssock). Therefore the "runtime" has less randomness and is shorter, leading to the improvements.

The behavior of the async log writer is now configurable (by default turned off), log-rolling and shutdown should now wort with this reliable as well.

All changes are on bitbucket (nsssl and naviserver-connthreadqueue). The server measures now as well the filter time separately from the runtime, but i am just in the process to collect data on that...

-gustaf neumann

one more update. Here is now the data of a full day with the Async-Writer thread. The avg queueing time dropped from 0,0547 to 0,0009, the standard deviation from 0,7481 to 0,0211. This is a noticable improvement.
        accept  queue   run     total
avg     0,0000  0,0009  0,1304  0,1313
stdev   0,0000  0,0211  0,9022  0,9027
min     0,0000  0,0000  0,0032  0,0033
max     0,0000  0,9772  28,1699 28,1700
median  0,0000  0,0001  0,0208  0,0209

But still, the sometime large values are worth to investigate. It turned out that the large queueing time came from requests from taipeh, which contained several 404 errors. The size of the 404 request is 727 bytes, and therefore under the writersize, which was configured as 1000. The delivery of an error message takes to this site more than a second. Funny enough, the delivery of the error message blocked the connection thread longer than the delivery of the image when it is above the writersize.

I will reduce the writersize further, but still a slow delivery can even slow down the delivery of the headers, which happens still in the connection thread. Most likely, i won't address this now. however, i will check the effects of fastpath cache, which was deactivated so far...

best regards
-gustaf neumann