Jean-Baptiste,

I absolutely do not intend to sound negative, but as a PhD student in
Sociology you will be in trouble in your career if you cannot distinguish
between a graph database query language and "development and coding" in
your mind.

Michael gave you good advice about Linkurious, but that is not some Magic
Bullet. You won't just crank up an app/tool (whatever you want to call it)
and just do what you want in all cases. Sure, the obvious things will be
covered. But do you think that your investigation will be limited only to
what everybody else does? Probably not if you want to be known as a smart
person who can bring new and non-obvious insights into your work.

A big part of your career will be looking at and manipulating data. As a
professional you will often have to provide the "glue" that gets your data
into, out of, and between whatever tools you have available. Whether it is
Cypher or some other means, you need to break your mental block that
says, "I don't do coding." Years from now you will be thanking yourself for
doing it sooner than later.

Look, I'm 63 years-old and don't have to make the decisions you are facing
now. But I am also smart enough (make that, have decades of experience to
reflect on) to know that if I had it all to do over again and I were in
your shoes, I'd be digging into neo4j with a passion and there would be
nothing that could keep me from learning and growing my knowledge of Cypher
(along with other things of that ilk).

There is a famous scene in the film, "The Graduate," where a graduation
party-goer leans over to Dustin Hoffman to give him career advice and
whispers, "Plastics!" That's what I'm trying to do for you, Jean-Baptiste,
"Cypher!" You do that, join this group, ask honest well-prepared questions
that will get helpful timely answers, and you will be well on your way to
carving a good niche (there's that social network stuff creeping in as
#graphsareeverywhere) for you in your career.

Good luck with your studies.

Just something to think about,
--Jim--