Interesting - I rarely observe a speed up adding the 2nd label but I will
bear this in mind.
The number of results returned vary from 0 to tens of thousands or perhaps
just counts.
I often parse these and feed into new queries. I use Linux bash for this;
it doesn't really matter; its the queries that take the time.

So should the apoc cypher.mapParallel directive improve the real-time
performance / parallelisation of my use case above ?

There are few examples of using this directive on the web.

How might I re-write :

MATCH (n:Entity) where n.name IN ['a1', 'a2', 'a3', 'a4', 'a5'] WITH
collect(n) as nodes UNWIND nodes as n UNWIND nodes as m MATCH path =
allShortestPaths( (n:Entity)-[*..2]-(m:Entity) ) RETURN path limit 1000;

using the mapParallel directive as an example ?

Wayne