I'm not suggesting that $10 Z568M clones will be turning up any time
soon, but just look at some of the stuff that comes out of China and
similar places. I recently bought a brand new replacement CRT for my
scope clock that came from there and it was only around 40 bucks. What
uses a 3" electrostatic CRT anymore and who would think they'd be
available so cheaply? I have some modern neon figural lamps that were
$2, a $20 transmitting triode I used to build a Tesla coil, complete 3
Amp buck regulator modules that were 29 cents each, backlit graphical
LCD displays for under $10.. A lot of the audio tubes aren't even
priced at a premium, they're downright cheap, ~$12 bucks for a brand
new EL34 pentode. It would not shock me in the least if some sort of
nixie tube goes into production at some point. Not saying it will
happen, but I would not be so quick to say it won't. Nixie tubes seem
to be as popular as ever or more so, and prices just keep rising.
Something like the Panaplex or B7971 segmented tubes would be even
easier to make. No fiddly stacks of precision cut numerals, just an
array of segments. Probably could be made with the same glassware as
modern VFDs.