On 7/8/2011 2:20 PM, James wrote:
How about a pinch seal with an inline row of wires? I've only ever
made those with two wires, but I don't see why it would be that much
more difficult to put 10+ wires through with an appropriate jig.
Induction heating is easy, I built one of those a while back that I
use for other things. As for the ceramic spacers, would glass work? I
know you can get small glass craft beads, I can't say I've ever looked
into it though. The glassblowing is the hard part, I can do a
reasonable job of splicing and bending neon tube but even after much
practice it's very difficult to get good consistent results.

The B5870 tube would be a good starting point for a design using a pinch seal. It has a zig-zag row of wires in the header, and the bottom of each digit is spot-welded to its wire, with no spacers or connecting wires needed. There is a single ceramic block at the top to hold the digits in place.

After all, if you're trying to make it yourself, simplicity is valuable.

--
David Forbes, Tucson, AZ