> I'm pretty familiar with BASIC, and I know it has it's limitations.  I
> know C is VERY popular, and very useful as well.  For the programmers
> in here, as far as microcontrollers go, what language do you prefer,
> and can you suggest a good way to start learning said language?

>From a capability standpoint, either would do.  However, microcontrollers have
>limited memory to work with, and C, being a low level language, is easier to
>get to fit in the space available.  It is also easier to access specific
>memory addresses with C, and to do bitwise operations, both of which are handy
>when working with microcontrollers.

Alas, I don't have a good suggestion for learning C, other than to recommend
you not do it the way I did, from the K&R book which is a reference book, not a
tutorial!

I do suggest learning by doing - free C compilers are available for most
computers, writing stuff and seeing what works and what doesn't is invaluable.
The Arduino platform lets you program a microcontroller with a language that's
pretty much like C, and the development environment lets you get started
quickly.

- John