> If there is similar library support for the AVR (non-arduino), I'd love to
> hear about it because I've been doing it the hard way. :)

There's nothing to keep you from using the Arduino libraries with a bare AVR
chip.  They come with the Arduino development environment as source.  Third
party Arduino libraries are also normally distributed as source and you can use
them too.  There are a few dependencies here and there (such as serial I/O
initialization and clock source assumptions), but they're easily dealt with if
you run across them.

You can also simply run Arduino code on any AVR if you like (with or without
their bootloader, but their environment assumes the bootloader space is not
available).

- John