Well, I was using SD Card support as an example only. There is also community library support for RTC's, VFD driver chips, all sorts of neat hobbyist electronics. If there is similar library support for the AVR (non-arduino), I'd love to hear about it because I've been doing it the hard way. :)

-Adam