On 01/25/2013 03:52 PM, jb-electronics wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am still working on Nixie tubes, but I have to take it a little slow
> at the moment because I switched my university and I am currently sort
> of living in two cities ;-)
>
> However, today I had some time so I took a look at my vacuum system.
> My problem was that even after I closed the valve to my pump at a
> pressure of 1.5E-2 mbar, the pressure would rise up to 20mbar in 20
> minutes. So there was a leak.
>
> I then checked every part of my system (swagelok adapter, needle
> valve) by replacing them with a blind flange and recording the
> pressure after 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 120s, 300s, 600s, 1200s
> and plotted them. I realised that there was insufficient greasing on
> my needle valve, and the most interesting thing is that it is not
> airtight if the scale is adjusted to just zero. You have to (gently)
> adjust it below the scale zero point. Then I get a leakage rate of
> just 1.2 琨ar/s which is very low.
>
> My system has a volume of at most (!) 65ml, so the leakage rate now is
> Q = 5.4E-6 mbar l/s which is pretty good I think. See my results here:
>
> http://www.jb-electronics.de/tmp/leakage.png
> http://www.jb-electronics.de/tmp/leakage_extensive.png
>
> Note that the Q value in these diagrams needs to be multiplied with 65ml.
>
> The next step will be to find a good connection to the pressure
> reducer for my gas bottle. Right now I am using a PVC hose (terrible),
> and I have huge leakage rates.
>
> But as always: One thing at a time ;-)
>
> Jens

Very cool.

So the leakage rate seems pretty low, but I'd be concerned about the
total vacuum that your system can accomplish.

Although I have never built nixie tubes myself, I did a good amount of
research to go down that road.

My research came up with some claims that you need to get down in the
10E-6 torr before the fill for good results with a nixie tube.

Anyhow, please keep a image journal of your work. It looks like a great
deal of fun.

Michael-