Hi Dalibor,

what do You think by the "insufficient greasing on my needle valve"? The rubber o-ring used to connect the valve to the system was not greased properly?

yes, there was some fibre or something hair-like that caused a small leak.

I think that the valve stem is not fully pressed to the valve seat when set to zero, when You screw it further below zero, it gets full contact with valve seat this making thight seal.

Yes, that is exactly what happened. I just assumed that the scale position "0" implied that it was fully in its seat. It is connected properly (the needle towards the vacuum, it is a rectangular configuration).

By the way, how long did You pump the system before closing and making the test?

About 10 minutes. I did a second test today and pumped it for 20 minutes and the result is much much better (half the leakage rate, Q = 2E-6 mbar l/s).

I guess that this is as good as it is going to get with my two-stage pump. On the long run I will purchase an oil diffusion pump, but not now. As Dalibor explained later, this pressure range is fine for testing and making Neon experiments.

What pressures are You going to achieve for pumping the nixies before filling by gas?

7E-3 mbar is the best I have achieved so far.

What valve do You use for isolating the system from vacuum pump (is it the ball valve we discussed recently)?

The ball valve is leaking, I proved that with another curve. No, I am using a bellow valve that Ron got for me. He is great. I don't know what I would do without his help.

Now I need to connect the pressure reducer next.

Jens

Dalibor