> Whilst I think that most now agree that the signals should have been
> level-shifted, that does not explain how a clock that worked for ages
> suddenly goes nuts... good point that actually - was it a sudden fault or
> did it slowly get worse?

It was working perfectly right up until it wasn't.  Nothing unusual
preceded the failure, no power failures, lightning strikes, the device is
on a UPS, no recent resets or anything.  The current wall plug is not the
original one, it was rated the same as the original one, and it's been the
one it's used for 4-6 years.

And again it's current failing state is a weird one.  It is clearly still
"trying" to work.  It does a normal-ish start up beep sequence and digit
check, but the digits are muddled, showing multiple digits, and the first
two digits are most strongly showing "25" (which, being greater than 23,
should never happen on this clock).  And I think the second digit keep
changing if the clock is left on, I think -- not sure about this, I didn't
spend much time with it after John replaced the high voltage circuit since
the old IC was actually smoking and we hoped initially that was the only
problem.

(And thanks to everyone for continuing to offer help.  I truly appreciate
it!)