I removed and replaced the tubes, but put them back in the exact same
order, so John could certainly try that.  When we saw the max771 (if that's
the high voltage IC) smoking it was with the tubes removed, I think.  Then
he bypassed it with that replacement circuit (sorry, don't recall who made
it) and then we re-plugged the tubes in the original order.

I think he was going to replace all the caps and see if that improved
anything, swap nixie drivers, and I forget what else.