Whilst I think that most now agree that the signals should have been
level-shifted, that does not explain how a clock that worked for ages suddenly
goes nuts... good point that actually - was it a sudden fault or did it slowly
get worse?

I would start by swapping the hv drivers over and seeing if the problem moves,
scoping the 5v rail to look for noise and sag, removing the hv drivers and then
replacing one at a time etc. i.e. elimination.

Theory is great and interesting but won't help much in solving the immediate
mystery...

Nick