I just want to add that for the low current scenario, the voltage should be
consumed by the nixie. The voltage across the LM317 will continue to drop
with reducing current, down to about 0.75V at 0.2mA under a test I did.
Only in overcurrent would there be an issue, as the voltage across it will
increase beyond it's limit.