@greg

I'd like to ask something related to the B7971 since I'm designing a PCB
for the clock at the moment. I have implemented the controlled current
sinks for each cathode and will fine tune the current for each segment
(already discussed in the HV control chips thread with the schematic). I'm
wondering if you implement both the cathode sink drivers and the anode
driver you proposed here:

1) If sum of all lit cathodes currents exceeds the maximum value in the
datasheet (the current set on the PMOS controlled source) what will happen
to the currents of the individual segments, will they proportionally go
down for each activated cathode? If so, will this cause the tube to reduce
the glow?

2) If the sum of all lit cathodes is less than the maximum defined in the
datasheet, it's supposed to stay that way because the PMOS source only
limits the upper maximum current but does not enforce it constantly to flow
trough the tube when it's activated?

3) How important do you think the maximum current per tube control is?
Before deciding to go with the sink controller for each cathode, I browsed
for other solutions to drive the B7971 and most of them use resistors, but
these resistors have to limit the current to rather low values, are these
enough to light the tube properly?

For
example, http://tayloredge.com/storefront/1386_B7971SmartSocket/1386A.pdf

Segment 11 in the datasheet is defined for a max current of 5.5mA, but the
above schematic would produce (170V - 140V) / 24 kOhm = 1.25mA. This seems
rather low?

Dana nedjelja, 26. ožujka 2017. u 09:01:56 UTC+2, korisnik gregebert