Timely subject....my 7971 PC boards just cleared US customs and are on the
plane to Oregon....

I have independent current-regulators on each cathode. 4 tubes * 15
cathodes = 60 current regulators. The driver transistor is a dual NPN in a
surface-mount package to save area. The cathode (segment) currents are not
adjustable, but there are SO many available resistor values it's easy to
tweak to fine resolution. I purposely chose 1% tolerance SMT (0805)
resistors. The NPNs are controlled by a TTL-level shift register (74HC595)
running at 3.3V.

For the anodes, each tube has an overall current limit (PMOS), set to 22mA
(datasheet max). Total of 4 per board.

The boards are end-to-end abuttable, so my first (and only) project will
have 7 tubes to start with.

Of my seven b7971 tubes, I gathered I-V data for each segment. This gave me
an overall idea how much current it takes to get decent illumination.
Next, I wrote a spreadsheet that calculates the total current for a variety
of ASCII characters (0-9, A-Z, _ ^ - * ). By setting the individual segment
currents in the spreadsheet so that most characters are at/below the tubes
max-rated value, I get an idea where to start. A few characters go over the
22mA spec value, and that's where the anode regulator kicks-in. Hopefully
it will result in segments fair-sharing their current. From there, it's
easy to calculate the cathode resistor and select from available values.