W dniu piątek, 29 marca 2019 08:46:37 UTC+1 użytkownik charles napisał:

> On 2019-03-28 10:09 p.m., johnk wrote:
>  based on teh RMS output (.707 of the peak)

That would be 0,707 (1/sqrt(2)) voltage output on a resistive load. RMS
power of a sine wave is 0,5 times peak power.
I like to know maximum constant RMS output, because it tells me a lot about
the amplifier and its capability. The peak power or music power usually
lacks a definition (I can easily imagine a design that would allow for
short pulse of higher power, but power supply/amplifier would fry up if it
was to deliver this peak power for longer time).
It is well known that for most time amplifier delivers a little percentage
of its maximum power, but having continous Watts RMS into specified load
rating is a very solid rating with solid definition.

On the topic: it really bothers me that there is no definition of one
voltage standard. It would make perfect sense to create a standard of a CD
output, for example - a 2Vpp signal, in which +1V would correspond to
maximum digital value DAC can give (65535 for standard 16-bit) and -1V
would correspond to a value of 0. It would make designing amplifiers much
easier - the sensivity would be always same.
Currently I'm building a vacuum tube amplifier and I'm mad at the fact that
I need to make the sensivity on 200mVpp level (my phone output), but most
of other sources will have much higher signal. I think I'll need to go with
a noisy method of applying extra resistor in series with volume
potentiometer for the higher inputs... or apply the resistor and a "+20dB"
switch that will short it.
At least it is a vacuum tube amplifier, so noise will be an issue anyway.