Gee Whizz. Sorry for not spelling your name correctly in the two posts Tomasz.

That was very careless and rude of me – please accept my apologies.

John K

From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com [mailto:neonixie-l@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Tomasz Kowalczyk
Sent: Tuesday, 16 April 2019 20:30
To: neonixie-l
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] OT: audio levels

On 2019-03-28 10:09 p.m., johnk wrote:

the FTC in the States started cracking down and said that any power
claims had to be based on teh RMS output (.707 of the peak) using a sine
wave with Specified distortion. AND that the unit had to be conditioned
at almost maximum power (75% if I recall, or Perhaps 90%)for several
minutes before taking the measurement.  SOME units sudenly could not
show ANY power as the pre-conditioning was enough to cause them to shut
down or Melt down.

That would be 0,707 (1/sqrt(2)) voltage output on a resistive load. RMS power
of a sine wave is 0,5 times peak power.
I like to know maximum constant RMS output, because it tells me a lot about the
amplifier and its capability. The peak power or "music power usually" lacks a
definition (I can easily imagine a design that would allow for short pulse of
higher power, but power supply/amplifier would fry up if it was to deliver this
peak power for longer time).

I like that FTC definition requiring amplifier to work with high output power
before taking a measurement, which is watts RMS.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/7c2c3bfe-e43d-4701-86c9-f9ecb39e735a%40googlegroups.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/7c2c3bfe-e43d-4701-86c9-f9ecb39e735a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
 .