From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com [mailto:neonixie-l@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Tomasz Kowalczyk
Sent: Tuesday, 16 April 2019 19:54
To: neonixie-l
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] OT: audio levels

On 2019-03-28 10:09 p.m., johnk wrote:
 based on teh RMS output (.707 of the peak)

That would be 0,707 (1/sqrt(2)) voltage output on a resistive load. RMS power
of a sine wave is 0,5 times peak power.
I like to know maximum constant RMS output, because it tells me a lot about the
amplifier and its capability. The peak power or music power usually lacks a
definition (I can easily imagine a design that would allow for short pulse of
higher power, but power supply/amplifier would fry up if it was to deliver this
peak power for longer time).
It is well known that for most time amplifier delivers a little percentage of
its maximum power, but having continous Watts RMS into specified load rating is
a very solid rating with solid definition.

On the topic: it really bothers me that there is no definition of one voltage
standard. It would make perfect sense to create a standard of a CD output, for
example - a 2Vpp signal, in which +1V would correspond to maximum digital value
DAC can give (65535 for standard 16-bit) and -1V would correspond to a value of
0. It would make designing amplifiers much easier - the sensivity would be
always same.
Currently I'm building a vacuum tube amplifier and I'm mad at the fact that I
need to make the sensivity on 200mVpp level (my phone output), but most of
other sources will have much higher signal. I think I'll need to go with a
noisy method of applying extra resistor in series with volume potentiometer for
the higher inputs... or apply the resistor and a "+20dB" switch that will short
it.
At least it is a vacuum tube amplifier, so noise will be an issue anyway.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6418d010-db45-4c62-8f64-12bdc99a5520%40googlegroups.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6418d010-db45-4c62-8f64-12bdc99a5520%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
 .