On 20/12/06, K.M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What you need is to implement this MIB in the printer. My question is How
> to implement this over HP printer.

Yes - you are correct that it's perfectly possible to implement this MIB
as part of an embedded SNMP agent.   That's presumably what Ricoh,
OKI and Xerox have already done.

What I'm saying is that extending an embedded agent isn't something
that can typically be done by a third-party.  I somehow doubt that HP
have provided a full login environment in their printers, or allow you
to replace their standard SNMP agent with the Net-SNMP one.
(I could be wrong, but I'd be very very surprised).  Supporting the
Host-Resources MIB is probably something that *HP* has to do.

I don't currently have access to a DeskJet 5500 printer, but we do
have various LaserJets in the department.   And a quick look at those
seems to indicate that they *do* support the Host Resources MIB
(as well as the IETF standard printer MIB RFC 1759, and various
HP-specific MIB objects).

What are the values of 'sysDescr.0' and 'sysObjectID.0' for your
printer?

Dave