On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 10:38:39PM -0800, K.M. wrote:
> The Host Resources MIB [RFC1514] provides two status objects that can be used
> to describe the status of a printer: hrDeviceStatus and hrPrinterStatus.
>   What you need is to implement this MIB in the printer. My question is How
> to implement this over HP printer. it is done in Ricoh 4500 and 4510,
> OKI C9500 and XEROX Phaser 860 printers and i am looking to implement it in HP
>   …. I think it is clear now Mr.Shield . !!

I think you won't get this easily.

The DeskJet 5550 is a discontinued low-end desktop printer with nearly
no local intelligence: it doesn't run SNMP or TCP/IP (it's a parallel
or USB printer) so there is simply no place to do anything with SNMP
on this printer. Almost everything is done in the driver.

The only way to monitor the printer is with whatever tools HP gives you.

Now: if you are some kind of OEM who wishes to resell this printer
to your customers for some niche market (as I've done for a customer
with a Kodak printer meant for the medical market), you can invest a
very large amount of resources reverse engineering how it all works,
but this is a very long and hard road that is probably well beyond your
best efforts.

Steve

---
Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  |   +1 714 544-6561
www.unixwiz.net  | Tustin, Calif. USA  | Microsoft MVP | [EMAIL PROTECTED]