Hi Alexey,

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 18:27 +0300, Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> When a netlink message is not related to a netlink socket,
> it is issued by kernel socket with pid 0. Netlink "pid" has nothing
> to do with current->pid. I called it incorrectly, if it was named "port",
> the confusion would be avoided.
>
> Jamal, please, review. Did you have reasons to do this?

The reason was driven by some apps such as quagga/zebra which
get confused when they see pid of 0 for things _they_ added.
Essentially there was lack of consistency, at times the app that made
the kernel change has its pid appear on the resulting netlink message
and at others it was 0 or the large (negative) number when you had
more than 1 socket within the same process.

CCing Hasso Tepper and more details of the original fix are
here:
http://lists.quagga.net/pipermail/quagga-dev/2005-June/003507.html

BTW, Alexey - if you have a chance can you look at the breakage of
sendmsg() in relation to multicast that exists today? It came in as a
result of trying to extend the number of multicast groups to be > 32
(libnetlink assumes its existence). I can explain more if what i said
didnt make sense.

cheers,
jamal