With any model, Seth.  Even the most simple, and even when I issue the java
command directly from the command line.  E.g.,

cstaelin@gridmgr:~/scratch/staelinlab/Research/Tests$ java -Xmx1024m
-Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -cp
/gridapps/software/NetLogo/6.1.0-64/app/netlogo-6.1.0.jar
org.nlogo.headless.Main --model gridtest6.1.0.nlogo --experiment Test &

(The same problem with 6.2.0 as well.)

I'll investigate the thread dump.

Thanks,
Charles