Hi Jeremy.  New information: I was able to work with my system
administrator this morning to run NetLogo with root privilege.  It worked!
So, it may well be, then, that there is something peculiar to our grid's
configuration that is preventing Java from cleaning up after NetLogo
completes its job.  We did notice that there was a .NFSxxxxx file that was
locked while java was hanging and that it disappeared when he killed the
job.  (That hang seemed to arise from NetLogo itself being unable to delete
a user file due to a permissions problem, which we fixed.)

Do you have any suggestions as to where we should look for what NetLogo is
trying to do that java can not clean up without root priviledge?  Any other
tests we might make?

Thanks,
Charles