> On 08 Jun 2015, at 17:39, Kent Watsen <kwat...@juniper.net> wrote:
>

>> I think the two leafs are coupled through the path statement and so the
>> values of both should conform to the same type. If I extend Balazs¹
>> example with uint8 and 1..10 range:
>>
>> 1. Would a leafref value of 256 be acceptable?
>>
>> 2. How about "foo"?
>

> I agree it doesn't makes sense, but is the configuration invalid?

It’s a matter of definition but IMO it should be defined as invalid. For
example, an implementor can use the type information for allocating an internal
data type for the leafref.

> The leafref is marked require-instance=false, it just means a matching
> condition will never succeed.
>
> Would a configuration be invalid if a "when" expression could never
> evaluate to true?

We should distinguish between syntactic (schema & datatypes) and semantic
errors (must & when, and actually also a violation of require-instance=true for
leafrefs).

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs