See below ..

On 2016-15-01 18:24, "netmod on behalf of Robert Wilton"
<netmod-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:

>Hi Kent,
>
>On 11/01/2016 20:59, Kent Watsen wrote:
>> Hi Benoit,
>>

>>> You use MUST, SHOULD, MAY, and you refer to RFC 2119. Fine.
>>> However, it might be beneficial to say something such as in RFC 7698
>>>
>>>     The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
>>>     "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in
>>>this
>>>     document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].
>>>
>>>     While [RFC2119] describes interpretations of these key words in
>>>terms
>>>     of protocol specifications and implementations, they are used in
>>>this
>>>     document to describe design requirements for protocol extensions.
>> Is this needed?  Looking at RFC2119, I don¹t read it as being very
>>particular about the context it¹s terms are used in.
>>
>> Additionally, other requirements docs use RFC2119 without any such a
>>paragraph (e.g., RFC7698, RFC7497, RFC7449, etc.)...
>>

>>> Btw, I never quite understood what a MAY means for a requirement.
>>> See requirement 2B and 2C
>> For 2B, would you rather is be a SHOULD?
>> For 2C, would you rather this be a ³may²?
>
>I think that the text for 2A would be more clear using MUST rather than
>may (in the sense that a compliant server must choose one of the three
>options listed).
>
>Before:
>
>        A.  A server may support only synchronous configuration
>            operations, or only asynchronous configuration operations, or
>            both synchronous and asynchronous configuration operations on
>            a client-specified per-operation basis.
>

>After:
>
>        A.  A server MUST support only synchronous configuration
>            operations, or only asynchronous configuration operations, or
>            both synchronous and asynchronous configuration operations on
>            a client-specified per-operation basis.
Gert> support

>For 2B, I agree changing MAY to SHOULD but we should broaden this to
>apply to synchronous servers as well.  Even though a config edit
>operation is synchronous it could still fail to be applied for some
>leaves, and hence the intended and applied leaves could be out of step.
>Hence I propose the following change:

>Before:
>
>        B.  Servers that support asynchronous configuration operations
>            MAY also provide a verify operation that a client can request
>            from the server to return information regarding the
>            difference between the intended and applied configurations.
Gert> as per definition of synchronous, the confirmation has to indicate
that the intended config has been applied or has been failed. I therefore
like to keep the current text suggesting to change the existing text
slightly (SHOULD instead of MAY):

B.  Servers that support asynchronous configuration operations
SHOULD also provide a verify operation that a client can request
            from the server to return information regarding the
            difference between the intended and applied configurations.

>After:
>
>        B.  Servers SHOULD also provide a verify operation that a client
>            can request from the server to return information regarding
>the
>            difference between the intended and applied configurations.
>

>For 2C, I think that the "may" should change to "SHOULD", otherwise the
>requirement that "rollback on error" semantics SHOULD be provided
>doesn't seem well grounded.
>
>So, before:
>
>        C.  The configuration protocol MUST specify how configuration
>            errors are handled.  Errors MAY be handled by semantics
>            similar to NETCONF's error-options for the <edit-config>
>            operation (stop-on-error, continue-on-error, rollback-on-
>            error), as described in Section 7.2 in [RFC6241], but
>            extended to incorporate both the intended and applied
>            configurations.  Support for "rollback on error" semantics
>            SHOULD be provided.
>
>After:
>
>        C.  The configuration protocol MUST specify how configuration
>            errors are handled.  Errors SHOULD be handled by semantics
>            similar to NETCONF's error-options for the <edit-config>
>            operation (stop-on-error, continue-on-error, rollback-on-
>            error), as described in Section 7.2 in [RFC6241], but
>            extended to incorporate both the intended and applied
>            configurations.  Support for "rollback on error" semantics
>            SHOULD be provided.
Gert> support