HI Martin,

"Bogaert, Bart (Nokia - BE)" <bart.boga...@nokia.com> wrote:
> I would like to bring this to the ietf-entity group.  Currently BBF is
> proposing to add new RW leafs to the entity object.  This is done in
> the context of plugable entities and hence it means that when an
> operator (via a NC client) configures a plugable item it is required
> to define the entity type.  For this reason additional RW attributes
> are needed.  Two of the new leafs are class and contained-in (same as the
RO class leaf).

> -          class: we think that the class leaf needs to be mandatory but
> adding this via an augment is not possible as we can't add a mandatory
> leaf via an augment.  Making class implicit for the client based on
> "some information" exchanged between device vendors and management
> applications is maybe not such a sound approach.

Can you explain in more detail how this would be used?  The idea is that
'class' is a property of the physical hw, and that the underlying system
provides this info.  I can see that it could be useful for the client to set
this if the system can't do the classification (i.e., the system-set value
is 'unknown').  But that's probably not the use case you had in mind?

[Bart Bogaert] Assume you have a system with a number of slots that can hold
several different cards and the system was deployed in the field with some
cards inserted and some other slots that were still left empty.  When an
operator wants to extend the system we can have 2 ways of doing this:
1. a field engineer goes 'on-site' and plugs cards in the system.  If done
this way, the system itself can detect what has been inserted and we do not
really need the RW leafs.  However in this case an operator has to wait
configuring user services on these cards until they are inserted.
2. the network operator determines that a node will "run out" of available
ports and hence wants to start planning new configuration and hence he wants
to configure some boards in the empty slots and even may want to start to
pre-configure certain data of the ports contained by these boards.  In that
case we need the RW leaf to indicate which board type will be inserted as
the service that can be offered depends on the board being inserted.  When
the board is inserted, the planned configuration can directly be applied to
the newly inserted board (given the fact that the detected class is the same
as the planned class).

There are customers using method 1 and other customers use method 2.

> -          contained-in: for plugable items contained-in requires to be
> mandatory too as a plugable item can't be "floating" in the device.

Can you explain in more detail what this means, and provide some use cases?

[Bart Bogaert] For DSL we are faced with "wiring" aspects that "ripple
through" to the MDF.  So assume we again have a system with plugable slots.
If we have 2 slots containing the same type of board (same class) and the
operator is applying the pre-configuration mode of working (method 2 in
above), we have to be sure that user A, connected to the first port of the
board plugged in the first slot will really be in slot 1.  If the NC client
has no means to detect which board is plugged in which slot (they are both
of the same class) we need other means to ensure the containment is as
intended (and user A being connected to the first port of the board in slot
A is also visualized as such on the GUI of the NC client).  Using the serial
number of the board seems not very practical as board may break and are sent
to repair or replaced by another board of the same type but with a different
serial number.  I do not think operators will like it a lot to manage a
system in a manual way based on these attributes hence also a need to plan a
board in a specific slot.

Hope this clarifies a bit more.

Best regards,